Thursday, January 29, 2009

Who Needs Snow? ... Or Translators?

Last weekend, after much research and prayer, we bought a playground/swing set. We worked on it the entire weekend, but it still needs a fair amount of work (I am hoping to post the pics whenever it is done). The pieces came in four large rectangular cardboard boxes, which Ethan converted into South Carolinian toboggans. Ever heard of one? We hadn't either until Ethan invented them. He and another little boy enjoyed themselves for hours sledding down the hill in these, and they still have plenty of life left in them. Here is a clip of Ethan's toboggan:

They actually work surprisingly well! Who needs snow when you have cardboard boxes and a little ingenuity :-)

The next day, Ethan continued sledding and was joined by our neighbors' two year old son, Jakob. The family is from Germany and the parents speak English, but Jakob, as far as we can tell, only understands German. That doesn't stop the boys from communicating though... most of the time. There are times when they don't seem to understand one another, and that's when we, or Jakob's parents, step in to fill in the gaps. Michael, Jakob's dad, was stepping in on such an occasion. He said some really long sentence in German to explain something to Jakob, and when he was done, Ethan said, "That's a great idea!" It was hilarious! Apparently, Ethan speaks German... or at least enough to recognize a good idea when he hears it :-).

3 comments:

Grandma Noni Oranges said...

Oh, Ethan, you are too funny. I love the sledding with no snow. It works. I'm glad you posted something today--I check the blogs every day and it's been awhile.

Anonymous said...

Ethan ~ this looks like SO MUCH FUN!!! I love how you are taking good care of puppy too and making sure he has a good time also!

Amber - I agree - once they can learn to go up that hill themselves (snow or no snow) it makes life a WHOLE lot easier - especially when pregnant! :)
Love the post!

Stephen's Family said...

What fun, with out having to bundle up in layer after layer. It seems like that's all we do, I'm going to be glad when spring is here:) Nathan likes to play in cardboard boxes too, but Mommy usually has to do the pushing:)