Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ethan's First Day of Kindergarten

So the day has arrived... Ethan's first day of kindergarten. Here he is in our front lawn- so handsome!

I was able to take him to his classroom on the first day. As I was talking with the teacher's aide, Mrs. Coates, Ethan hopped right in and started coloring with the other kids. No problems adjusting for him (Mommy on the other hand... ;-)!


Here he is with his teacher, Mrs. Crocker.

The day went pretty well for me (I didn't even cry!). I was pretty busy with Micah and Verity. I also was able to enjoy some one-on-one time with Micah (something that has been rare in the past). It will take some getting used to Ethan not being here during the day since he was such a huge help to me around the house and while I was out doing errands. But I know that it will be good to have some more concentrated time to spend with Micah, especially as he approaches the "terrific" twos :-)

When I got the the bus stop to pick Ethan up this afternoon, I realized that I forgot to bring my camera, which was a bummer. I was still 10 minutes early(which is miraculous in and of itself), but didn't want to chance missing him, so I let it go. I was doubly bummed when the bus arrived 40 minutes later! And I was triply bummed when he got off wearing this monkey headdress.
It was really sweet to see him wearing this hat and being totally unconcerned that there was anything unusual about it. Don't you wish you could have the same nonchalance and be unfazed by how others viewed you?

We asked him questions about his day when he got home and later at dinner, but we just got bits and pieces of how the day went. The details we got were: he had music class, he didn't get to play with toys, he got to play outside twice, lunch was short, he had fun, and there were 24 kids in his class. So we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Yesterday on the phone, Ethan told my mom, "Yep, God's making me grow up." Well I guess that's not only true for Ethan but for me as well! We'll all have a little growing to do, but God is good, and His grace is sufficient!

5 comments:

Becky said...

Yea, Mom and Ethan! What an exciting time :)

I hope all continues to go well and everything smooths out ;) You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

kreationsbykristina said...

I'm with Becky, yay, Mom and Ethan!! Glad to see everything started well! I know it is a big change! I love Ethan's comment to Mom! Too cute! Keeping you all in our prayers, we love you guys!

Julie said...

What a day! Congrats, Ethan on starting Kindergarten! I'm sure you'll learn so much! I remember those first day jitters as a teacher Kindergarten teacher. How nice that you got to take him to his room, Amber - and I'm a bit jealous that you get personal time with your younger two - those will be special days ahead too. :)

Corey said...

Wow - that brings back major flashbacks!! Blonde hair, glasses, the name!:) So neat to see him getting older! I'm so impressed with the 'no tears!'

I wanted to thank you for the way you hosted the boys last week. Josh kept saying how kind you all were. Thanks for caring for them like that.

Michelle said...

I just cannot believe he is in Kindergarten all ready! I sure goes by way too fast...
And good job on the no tears! I stilled teared up and Nathanael and Tanner have been in school for a few years each! I dont even want to know what I will be like when I start this with my last child...