Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"Gingerbread" Houses


Back in December, we took some time over the weekend to decorate "gingerbread" houses, but instead of using gingerbread, we use something a little more readily available: graham crackers.   I usually save up our leftover Halloween candy- candy that I don't want my kids to eat (like Jolly Ranchers), candy with fun shapes (like a huge gummy LifeSaver that I thought would make a great wreath), or the stuff that no one wants to eat.  Add some ancient sprinkles, leftover crackers, and anything else in the pantry that looks interesting.  Paste together with homemade sugar-glue, and voila!  Graham cracker houses.  This is the first year that I did not personally make one.  I knew that the kids would need as many hands to help as possible, so I had to forgo joining in (shows you how much I love my kids ;-).  I was smart this year and I made the houses ahead of time.  Then the kids could decorate their houses without the roofs caving in.

Here are the kids and their masterpieces:


This was Verity's first year making a graham cracker house.  Boy, did she jump right in!



We all had a great time.  I hope that I can continue the tradition.  Maybe when the kids get older, I'll be able to make my own again ;-)  Until then, I'll just enjoy my kiddos and try to keep the number of flying sprinkles to a minimum.