Sunday, October 3, 2010

We're off to see the Wizard...

...the wonderful Wizard of Oz!  During first month or so of school, we worked our way through this classic book by L. Frank Baum.  The kids really enjoyed the story, especially Ethan (since he had a better concept of what was going on).  The other two mainly just fought to see the pictures ;-).  But, we diligently read a little bit at a time and made our way through the book.  I was able to borrow the movie from the library so we had a "Wizard of Oz Night."  Here we are enjoying the themed dinner that I made:


In the book, Dorothy goes through the four lands of Oz.  The land of the Munchkins in the east is mainly blue.  The land of Oz is obviously green, hence the Emerald City.  The land of the Winkies in the west is predominantly yellow, and the land of the South is red.  So to go along with the four lands, we had one food for each color.  We had...
  • Red Poppy Beef- which was a poppy seed, ground beef, and spaghetti recipe that I have- I just dyed it red... well, actually it looked more pink.  It looked a little weird, but it still tasted good :-)
  • Emerald City Green Beans- which were just green beans with butter that had a fun name
  • "Blue" Munchkin berries- small, purplish grapes that were actually labeled "Bunchkins"- a very fun find!
  • and for dessert: Yellow Brick Road Lemon Bars, which was a fun idea, but no one was really a big fan of them ;-)
Ethan had decorated the family room with coloring pages from the movie, so it was very festive, especially after such a fun meal.  Then we watched the movie.  The kids were not so sure what they thought of the Wicked Witch of the West, but they LOVED the movie!  I think we watched it 5 times that week!  The kids still sing some of the songs, and Micah kept asking to watch "duh Wizzer duh Boz" (sound it out and it'll make sense).  Here are the cuties getting ready to watch it for the first time. 


What a wonderful evening!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

You are so creative, Amber! What a fun family evening, one I am sure your kids will remember.