Friday, October 29, 2010

Happy Cows, Happy Kids

A couple weeks ago, we took our first major field trip and toured Happy Cow Creamery and Trantham 12 Aprils Dairy in Pelzer, SC.  It was a GREAT experience!!!  We drove down in the morning, listening to a nursery rhyme CD (let me tell you, you have to REALLY love your kids to subject yourself to those kinds of CD's. The kids loved it though so it was worth it :o).  We were a little early (I know, shocking for those of you who knew me when I was younger and never on time), so we said hi to to cows and briefly checked out the farm store while we were waiting. 

Then at 9:30, Miss Ashley started reading the book, Happy Cow, to us and the other 16 people who were there for the tour.  Unfortunately, this was the only picture I got of her.  She's not mad, she's just animatedly speaking about a subject she's passionate about: the farming methods of this dairy. She was a very southern lady, both sugar and spice ;-).  She was great with the kids.

Then we got to meet Farmer Tom, who started and owns the farm.  He picked up the story where Miss Ashley left off.  He also drove the "tractor-trolley" to show us the farm...


..and tell us how 12 Aprils Dairy Farm came to be.  Really fascinating story.  Read it here if you have the time. Then we went back with Miss Ashley and she showed us where they milk the cows.  We also got to learn about what a milking machine looked like prior to the 1940's.  As if you want to know what it looks like, as Miss Ashley said, go look in a mirror :o)

Next was the best part of all... sampling the milk!  We got to try chocolate milk, strawberry milk, and regular milk.  Ethan liked the chocolate milk the best, but I, as weird as it sounds, actually preferred the regular milk.  Maybe it's because I only drink skim milk, but I could not believe how wonderfully flavorful it tasted!  After our samples, the kids literally got to try their hand at milking a "cow."  The farm had "Maggie the Cow" for this purpose.  Here are the kids with Maggie.  Ethan is definitely a city-boy and had no idea how to do it, but Micah jumped in with both hands :-).  And believe it or not, I did not try to have the kids posed for this first shot.  They just lined up for their picture-loving mommy.



When our tour was over, we went back to the country store and brought some "happiness" back home with us: 2 gallons of delicious milk and a half-gallon of chocolate ice cream.  These are some happy kids!  (except maybe Verity who missed her morning nap... she's looking a little sleepy).

Micah and Verity were apparently worn out by the time we got home...



...but I still think they had fun.  It'll be pretty hard to top such a tasty field trip, but you can bet I'll on the lookout for one. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how fun! I wish I could have come along :) I guess this disproves the myth that only California cows are happy cows, huh? :)

Michelle said...

What a fun field trip! I remember going on a similar one with my homeschool group when I was a child. Unfortunately for my brothers friend, the part I remember best was when said friend's foot got pooped on by a cow.
Anyhow, love all the pictures, and LOVE lil' Miss Verity's hair in piggy tails! :)