Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Pete's a Pizza

I always want to do more crafts with homeschooling, but crafting takes time and planning that I often skip in the hustle and bustle.  However, every once in a while a craft will naturally come out of something we are reading about, studying, etc. and when it does, it usually ends up being the best kind of craft of all. 

Well, I was reading a book called Pete's a Pizza to the kids.  It's one of those stories that you have to read to kids to see how funny it is, since kids will laugh uncontrollably at things we adults think are mildly amusing.  We grin; kids roll on the floor in a full belly-laugh.  Especially if you really involve them in the story.  Micah was being particularly grumpy that morning so he made a good "volunteer" for acting out the story :-). 

After we read the story, we made paper pizzas: paper plates for the crust, crayon for the sauce, shredded paper for the shredded cheese, and construction paper scraps and circles for the toppings.  I was thankful for my circle punch that made the pepperoni and sausage a snap.  Ethan punched out the circles, Micah cut some of the pineapples and ham, and our handy paper shredder took care of the shredded cheese.  As you can tell Micah was still having a rough time at this point, but the other two enjoyed it.  Micah was a little better by snack time ;-)


When we finished our pizzas, we enjoyed a "pizza" snack: saltines for the crust, strawberry jelly for the sauce, and slices of American cheese for the cheese (I know, I'm a genius to think of using cheese for the cheese ;-).  They were fun, and pretty tasty, too, believe it or not.  So hopefully there will be some more fun crafts and snacks to come.  I think learning is always better when it involves creativity, food, or both.  Don't you think?  ;-)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Very creative! I wouldn't of thought to make snack to go along with, what a great idea.