Thursday, August 18, 2011

My First Gray Hair

No, you didn't read that wrong.  And yes, I literally have a gray hair.  Well, actually it's white.  I was getting ready for bed the other night and did a double take.  I thought, "No, it's gotta be the lighting."  But there was no denying it. Here' the proof:

(The hair itself is only white for the first two inches and then it's my normal color.)

Doesn't it seem wrong that I'm getting my first gray hair and I'm not yet 30?!?   Oh well.  Jim said something about gray hair meaning wisdom, but I was only half-listening ;-).  I guess it's kind of a weird thing to blog about, but it's part of everyday life.  I am getting older.  I must accept that fact.  I ought to accept it gracefully, but I'm still working on that one ;-)!  But as my dad says when he sees someone with gray hair, "At least they have hair!"  I am counting my blessings!


Addendum: I posted this last night, then this morning I was reading in 2 Corinthians 4-5 about how our outer man is wasting away, that "while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord," and how it is more desirable to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.  Then this glorious thought occurred to me:

I am one gray hair closer to seeing Jesus!  

This is the grace-filled perspective I was missing!  While I can't honestly say at this point in my life I'd rather leave my hubby, kids, etc. for heaven, I know that my desire for being with Jesus forever should far exceed my desire for things that are momentary.  So gray hairs, my 30th birthday, and whatever else, these are merely stepping stones to my eternal home with Jesus.  Or as our pastor put it, they are bread crumbs leading to an eternal banquet.  The pill that I thought would be bitter to swallow can now bring sweetness to my heart.  Praise God! 

7 comments:

Michelle said...

This post made my day! (No offense). I found my first white hair (I have never found gray, just white, maybe its a redhead thing) right before my 31st birthday. I cried. Since then I have found random ones here and there, but thankfully not too many. And I totally agree with your Dad, because hey, at least i can color my white hair! :)

Unknown said...

Well, I'm glad it made your day, Michelle ;-).

I ended up changing the wording in my post because I realized after reading your comment about white hair that that was true for me as well.

Glad I'm not alone!

Kate Oberholtzer said...

Welcome to the club, my sweet (young) friend! ;)

Unknown said...

Ooh... I didn't know there was a club! And with so many of my friends in it already! ;-)

Grandma Noni Oranges said...

I thought that you turning 30 made me feel old, but you finding your first gray hair really makes me feel old. But I do love the perspective of it being one gray hair closer to the Lord!

Becky said...

Honestly... with 3 kids and homeschooling, at least it is only 1 :) I didn't notice any until Connor was born and then it was all down hill. Can't wait to see what the 3rd boy brings! Maybe instead of prayer beads... I'll just use white hairs ;)

kreationsbykristina said...

Thanks sis! Glad for the perspective,...plus, now I know what to look out for and when!!! Congrats!