Tuesday, February 19, 2013

More Precious than Gold Trophies

Every year, the Cub Scouts get to participate in an event called the "Pinewood Derby."  The scout gets to build a wooden car (with a good deal of help from the scout's dad!) that he will race.  Here is Ethan's red Alabama car getting ready to race against the Bowser car.  Below is a picture of what it looks like at the end with two other race cars.     



I haven't been to see the Pinewood Derby in previous years so I decided that I would pack up the kids early Saturday morning and go this year.  This is what I did during the race:


I fed the baby and tried to keep Verity and Micah sitting on the bleachers.   I was glad to have Jim's dad there to help!  And as much as it looks like I drugged my kids, I promise I didn't! :-).

Well, once again, Ethan's car did really well (it definitely helps to have a daddy that understand physics!).  In fact he did so well that he won a 2 out of 3 battle for 2nd place...


... or so we thought!  After the races were over, Jim realized that Ethan had already lost to the 1st place car.  Because it was a double-elimination race, Ethan's car actually lost in the race for 2nd place.  We didn't realize the mistake until after the trophies were awarded, but once the mistake was realized, Jim set everything right.   Wow!  What a hard lesson for an eight-year-old boy to learn, especially after wanting to win so bad (hard on mommy, too!).  However, God was at work in my boy's heart!!!  Even though Ethan was bummed, he took it so well.  It was a great opportunity for him to learn to do what is right, even if it costs you dearly.  So Ethan had to learn to be content with 3rd place, which, praise God, he was able to do.  

Ethan and I were talking the night before the race about how God cares more about his heart than whether or not he gets a trophy.  I am thankful that Ethan was able to see that the next day... that God cared about his heart and wanted the best for him, even if it wasn't what he wanted.  Hard lessons, but so good.

I'm reminded of these verses in 1 Peter, "In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ."  I hope that when Ethan looks at his bronze trophy down the road that he'll also see a bit of gold.

1 comment:

Julie V. said...

These lessons are so terribly difficult... not just for them but for us too. We've walked through similar things w/ our derby. Grateful for the Holy Spirit trumping our emotions!