Monday, July 23, 2007

5 Great Years!!!

Amber and I just celebrated our 5-year anniversary on July 13. I took a little time to write a short synopsis of those years, highlighting some of the good, the funny, and the tough parts. I thought it might be fun to share. These snippets are part of the lives God's given us to enjoy.

July 2002 – 2003 We were married in Fairfield, Pennsylvania. We had our honeymoon suite given away and drove to a new hotel with Uncle Todd and your dad. We then drove to our apartment in Greenville and then on to Walt Disney World. We went parasailing. I fixed your harness while we were 200 feet in the air. We ate great food. We rode in the cockpit of the monorail and got stuck there since the one in front of us broke down. We returned to Greenville. We started at NHCC. You went to Clemson. We watched PSU football on the big screen in the community clubhouse while eating Steak-Out. We committed to a house in Gray Court. We backed out. We committed to a house in Duncan. You graduated at Chad & Kate’s wedding. We moved to Duncan.

July 2003 – 2004 We went to Nashville for our 1-year anniversary. The hotel was nasty, so we relocated. I applied for grad school again. We found out you were pregnant. We had the pregnancy test done at an office 45 minutes your parents’ house, but unknowingly in the same building on the same floor on which your Mom worked. Renee & Jason’s wedding. I began the MBA. You worked for Hampton Inn. We ate lunch together in the Hampton Inn parking lot each day. We went to Paris with Chad & Kate. Our luggage was lost. Enjoyed the crepes. Ethan was born. Traveled to PA for Memorial Day. Ryan & Chris’ wedding. Prepared our duet in a different key than the piano player.

July 2004 – 2005 Ethan was sleeping through the night. Christmas was in California. Ethan learned to walk. We went to Washington, D.C. Ethan discovered that his voice echoed in the National Gallery of Art. I took a job with GE. Rich & Melissa got married.

July 2005 – 2006 We went to Big Bear. At the layover in Dallas, you and Ethan walked over to the bag return, and in so doing accidentally exited the airport without tickets or ID or anything! When it was getting close to boarding time, I walked over with all of our stuff to where you had been… and I exited the airport, too! When I asked if anyone had see you, the reply was, “Was she crying?”!!! Everything worked out fine. We got great tickets from GE to go to Carowinds. I got a horrible sunburn on my back. We went to Montreal for SQE training. You had a ketchup bottle literally explode all over you. We committed to move to PA. We went through a miscarriage. I got my P.E. On moving day, your glasses broke, Ethan put a hole in the pantry door, and Ethan walked out in the mud, literally got stuck, wiggled out of a shoe, and walked out in just a sock. Carol Stevens bathed him in the sink. We closed on the town home.

July 2006 – 2007 Kris & Jeremy’s wedding in CA. I worked from the basement office. We got plugged in to Christ Community. Mom died. Levi was born. We found out you were pregnant again. I traveled extensively. We went to Lake Tahoe/Yosemite. We sat out on our room’s porch overlooking Tahoe early in the morning.
God has given us a great life. It has had its 'ups' and 'downs', but we've seen His hand work countless times. Thank you, God!

4 comments:

Becky said...

WOW! I cannot believe it's been 5 years :) Congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, congrats on the 5 year mark :) We love you guys!
BUT, from the sounds of it, you sure had your vacation nightmares... and a larger share of airport complications in those years. I'm glad you can laugh at them now though - which is good! See ya Thursday!!! :)

Michelle said...

I cant believe it has been 5 years! How time flies! Congrats to you both!
We love you Jim and Amber!
(and Ethan and Micah too!)

Grandma Noni Oranges said...

It was interesting to read the synopsis and remember all the events of the past 5 years.