No, it's not a Canadian holiday, but an unofficial homeschooling holiday in which the box of school books arrives. Sonlight, the Christian homeschooling organization through which I purchase my books, portrays Box Day as this wonderful moment in a child's life when their eyes light up with joy as they see their books for the first time- books that will be loved as dear friends. They salivate over science and are filled with wonder as they discover people groups from all over the world (you can almost see the ethereal glow of their halos, can't you?).
Several weeks ago our box arrived. The books come packaged in brown paper that is perforated into sheets. Last year, I painstakingly smoothed out these paper to use them for art paper and projects. They stayed in the school room for most the year, and we used just one sheaf before I was willing to pitch the papers (I don't like to throw out anything that could be used "someday," an inherited trait from my Depression-era grandparents, I suppose).
Well, I learned my lesson, and this year I put the papers into a box to be thrown out so as to not junk up the school room. However, the boys had other ideas of what to do with the papers. With two young and very energetic boys, this was our box day:
The papers were used better this time around, don't you think? Ah, my crazy boys. How I love them!

2 comments:
HAHA! I totally love it! This is something right out of my house: the saving something for a craft and never using it, and the crazy boys.
Silly boys!
Post a Comment